Saturday, December 19, 2009

Top 30 Rap Singles of the 00s: 5 - 1

Remember, the decade began with these two going at each other's necks.

Click here for songs 30-21.

Click here for songs 20-11.

Click here for songs 10-6.

5. Freeway featuring Peedi Crakk:
Flipside (2003)

If you know me, you already know.

*rips shirt off*

Club banger of the decade.

4. Kanye West: Through the Wire (2003)

Kanye had released a slew of joints and a mixtape before I heard this... and I personally found them all unbelievably wack. Then one summer day in 2003 the video aired on BET and "the artist of the decade" (nope, not debatable) began his legendary career.

3. Nas: Made You Look (2002)

Banger. Next to that word in the dictionary there should be a link to this song (this made minimal sense, I'm aware). Salaan Remi has a lot of misses when it comes to Nas songs, but he is a legend to me for life for his work on this joint.

2. Eminem: Lose Yourself (2002)

The greatest song of Eminem's career is from a soundtrack. Granted, it was his soundtrack, but still. I think Benzino said Lose Yourself sounded like "some backpacker sh*t" and if it does, it's the biggest backpacker single of all time.

1. Freeway featuring Jay-Z and Beanie Sigel: What We Do (2002)

What a year 2002 was. Despite a mediocre verse from Hov, this song is my favorite single of the decade, showing how powerful the rest of the joint was. Freeway must have blacked out the studio, because I've yet to hear him spit like this since (and he's had some solid verses since then). And I haven't even mentioned the Just Blaze beat yet. Damn.

1 comment: