Monday, April 20, 2009

So, I've Decided to Cut my Cable (The Introduction)

I've decided to try and live without cable television for the first time in my life.
Why, you ask? Well, here's why:

  1. My bill (combined Internet and cable) has reached $175 a month (I have digital cable along with HBO, Starz, and Showtime), and I feel like I'm not getting $175 of entertainment per month.
  2. I want to shake things up by trying something different. Summertime is approaching, and my favorite shows are wrapping up their seasons, the NBA season is coming to a close, and it wouldn't be a bad thing to get out of my stuffy apartment a little more often.
  3. I'm an idiot. Clearly I could scale back my cable to a more basic plan and easily save a few bucks, but that's not as fun.
  4. In my opinion, cable television is a broken system that needs to change to better serve their customers. (More on that later.) The only way to change the system is to not put up with it. So in other words, I'm broke.
So, after stumbling across this article, I became motivated to go ahead and give it a shot. Lucky for you, I'm going to chronicle this entire journey from beginning to end.

The experiment starts today.

I'll leave it at that for now.

1 comment:

  1. Good idea Aaron. With the amount of free stuff on the internet nowadays, you can fuel your entertainment addiction through other ways than what only cable used to offer. Hulu, Boxee, XMBC, you name it, and you've got a way to watch the show you might have missed last night. There are plenty of gray areas in this situation, and I really don't want to compromise your blog to help you out.

    Anyways, good seeing you have quite a blog going on. Peace Prep brother.

    ReplyDelete